OCRACOKE ISLAND, Va. (WAVY) — Ocracoke Island reopened to visitors at 5 a.m. Monday following an evacuation order issued in the wake of Hurricane Dorian.
The storm caused major damage to the Hyde County island when it came through the eastern North Carolina region the first week of September.
Hyde County officials originally wanted to lift the order back in November, but a recent nor’easter that caused damage to the main road on the Outer Banks, NC 12, delayed the process.
Ocracoke homeowners were allowed to return to the island Sept. 9.
FEMA denied individual aid to Ocracoke following the storm, but Governor Roy Cooper signed a declaration in October to help residents with disaster relief.
The North Carolina Department of Transportation adjusted its schedules as Ocracoke reopened to visitors Monday.
NC 12 is only open to vehicles with four-wheel drive. It’s scheduled to reopen to all traffic within a week, but until then, the ferry may be the only option for some visitors.
Regular tolling with resume on routes between Cedar island, Swan Quarter and Ocracoke once NC 12 reopens to all traffic.
The ferry schedules to and from Ocracoke starting Monday:
- Ocracoke to Cedar Island: 7 a.m., 1 and 3 p.m.
- Cedar Island to Ocracoke: 6:30 and 10 a.m., 4 p.m.
- Ocracoke to Swan Quarter: 9 a.m., 1 and 7 p.m.
- Swan Quarter to Ocracoke: 10 a.m., noon, and 4 p.m.
Reservations for routes between Cedar Island, Swan Quarter and Ocracoke are highly recommended, and are available by calling 1-800-BY-FERRY. The schedule for ferries between Ocracoke and Hatteras is as follows:
- Hatteras to Ocracoke-Silver Lake: 6 a.m. and 11:15 a.m., 4:30 p.m.
- Ocracoke-Silver Lake to Hatteras: 8:45 a.m., 2:30 p.m. and 7:15 p.m.
- Hatteras to Ocracoke-South Dock (4WD ONLY): 6:15 a.m. and 9 a.m., 4:45 p.m., 6 and 7:30 p.m.
- Ocracoke-South Dock-Hatteras (4WD ONLY): 4:30 a.m., 7:30 and 10:15 a.m., 6 p.m., 7:30 and 9 p.m.
Once N.C. 12 reopens to all traffic, the Hatteras-Ocracoke Silver Lake route will be discontinued, and the Hatteras-Ocracoke South Dock route will begin on the following schedule:
- Hatteras-Ocracoke: 5 a.m., 6, 8, 9 and 11 a.m., 12, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7:30, 9 and 10 p.m., midnight.
- Ocracoke-Hatteras: 4:30 a.m., 6:30, 7:30, 9:30 and 10:30 a.m., 12:30 p.m., 1:30, 3:30, 4:30, 6:15, 7:30, 8:45 and 10:30 p.m., midnight.