NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — A North Carolina woman was caught with a loaded handgun with six bullets at Norfolk International Airport last Friday, officials said.
Norfolk International’s TSA officers found the gun in the woman’s carry-on luggage as it entered an X-ray device. The gun was confiscated by airport police and the woman was taken in for questioning.
She was cited by airport police, according to a news release.
People who bring weapons to the TSA checkpoint are subject to federal civil penalties up to $13,333, even if you have concealed gun carry permits. 15 guns were caught at ORF checkpoints in 2019 and 21 were found in 2018.
4,432 firearms were found in carry-on bags across the U.S. in 2019, a 5 percent increase from 2018, the TSA says.
More Norfolk News:
- 57-year-old man dies following vehicle-pedestrian crash in Norfolk
- Unknown number? Virginia officials say you should answer. It could be your vaccine
- USNS Leroy Grumman returns to homeport Norfolk after 7-month deployment
- Norfolk looking for input on possible bike lanes along part of Granby Street
- Virginia Arts Festival announces new performance venue in Norfolk