NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) -- An Army Navy surplus store in Norfolk was damaged Wednesday evening in what police say appears to be a hit-and-run crash.
Norfolk police say officers were dispatched to the M&G Army Navy Surplus on Granby Street around 8:30 p.m. for an alarm call. Officers found damage at the building when they arrived.
Police say a preliminary investigation found a driver appears to have hit the building before fleeing the scene.
The store's owners say this is the third time this year a car has hit the building -- but the first time it's been a hit-and-run. In total, there have been around a dozen incidents like this since the store opened.
Larry Friedman owns the store with his sister Laura Buzard. The two received the store from their father and both say the store is no stranger to crashes.
"It's been happening for over 35 years," said Friedman.
It's happened dozens of times, three times in just the last year and the most recent has Friedman frustrated.
"I wasn't prepared for what I saw and I'm still having a hard time making sense of it."
Buzard went straight to their store surveillance video.
"There it is, he stops and then pulls out and drives away and then all of the other cars around him just go on by. I just wonder what my dad would think because he was here for so long and now all of this is happening," said Buzard. "Somebody is going to get hurt one day."
Anyone with information that could help detectives is asked to call the Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP.
- ‘Unprecedented' number of mosquitoes testing positive for West Nile in Suffolk
- 'I was one of these kids': Allen Iverson gives back to hometown Newport News Boys & Girls Club
- Greenies bar in Ocean View officially closing Sept. 5
- Man accused of attacking Hampton woman he met on dating app arrested
- Veteran who hasn't walked in 9 years bikes the east coast to raise money
- Shooting outside Suffolk barbershop leaves former state player of the year critical
- Man convicted in connection to death of girlfriend's 2-year-old daughter in Norfolk