NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — Virginia State Police say a driver fled police near the Downtown Tunnel and ended up crashing into several vehicles in Norfolk Monday evening.
Virginia State Police say a trooper notified the communications center at 5:19 p.m. about a Nissan Rogue going 85mph in a 55mph zone on Interstate 264. The trooper attempted a traffic stop, but the driver refused and a pursuit ensued.
The chase led into the City of Norfolk.
The driver of the vehicle, identified Tuesday as 39-year-old Melvon Hainsworth of Chesapeake, struck several vehicles at Tidewater Drive and Cromwell Drive shortly after, ending the pursuit.
State Police say Hainsworth tried to run but because of his injuries from the crash he didn’t get far.
The driver was taken into custody and transported to the hospital. Three other drivers involved in the crash received minor injuries, police said.
Hainsworth was charged with driving under the influence, reckless driving, failure to yield at a traffic light, no valid operator’s license, felony elude and reckless driving by speed.
- Passenger on JetBlue flight tried to storm cockpit, choke flight attendant with necktie, FBI says
- Biden encourages COVID booster after CDC endorses shot for older Americans
- Tractor-trailer catches on fire in westbound lane of I-64 in Portsmouth
- Busch Gardens fight: Investigators looking for group of men who attacked two others, police say
- Blog: Cool Down Is Here. Weekend Looks Great! Tracking Hurricane Sam.