NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — Virginia State Police say a driver fled police near the Downtown Tunnel and ended up crashing into several vehicles in Norfolk Monday evening.
Virginia State Police say a trooper notified the communications center at 5:19 p.m. about a Nissan Rogue going 85mph in a 55mph zone on Interstate 264. The trooper attempted a traffic stop, but the driver refused and a pursuit ensued.
The chase led into the City of Norfolk.
The driver of the vehicle, identified Tuesday as 39-year-old Melvon Hainsworth of Chesapeake, struck several vehicles at Tidewater Drive and Cromwell Drive shortly after, ending the pursuit.
State Police say Hainsworth tried to run but because of his injuries from the crash he didn’t get far.
The driver was taken into custody and transported to the hospital. Three other drivers involved in the crash received minor injuries, police said.
Hainsworth was charged with driving under the influence, reckless driving, failure to yield at a traffic light, no valid operator’s license, felony elude and reckless driving by speed.
- Free ping pong event in VB kicks off charity weekend for FACT Autism Resource Center
- Friday Night Flights Top 10 plays: Week 6
- No-kill shelter set to open in Chesapeake, facility honors co-owner’s late wife
- Multiple people have been shot on campus of Morgan State University in Baltimore, police say
- Woman sues Disney for $50K after ‘painful wedgie’ on water slide