NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — Charges are pending after an assault and a report of a student dropping a gun at Lake Taylor High School on Monday.

The school and nearby Lake Taylor Middle were placed on lockdown around 11 a.m. Monday for the incident.

Police did not share additional details outside of saying a “weapon” was reported and that two students were detained, but shared more information in an update on Tuesday morning.

One of the students allegedly dropped a gun, police say, before picking it up and fleeing the school. Police said both students were identified and charges are pending for the assault, but the investigation was ongoing for the reported gun on school property.

No injuries were reported, police say.

A mother who spoke to WAVY’s Andy Fox after the incident on Monday said her son was approached by an unknown person, who hit her son repeatedly.

The son, who also spoke to 10 On Your Side, said he fought back and injured his hand in the process.

“I was sitting in science class … guy I’ve seen in school came up and started attacking me … I fought back, hurt my hand … gun dropped out of his waistband, he picked it up and left the school,” the son said.

The suspect then reportedly left the school in a waiting vehicle.

“How do I feel? I feel traumatized,” the student’s mother told 10 On Your Side.

The victim’s aunt was also at the school to support her sister and her nephew. She voiced her concern regarding the school’s safety measures.

“I was very concerned that a gun was allowed in the school. How can this happen? Where are the safety measures of the school district, and what measures are the school taking to prevent this kind of violence from happening?” 

When 10 On Your Side asked the student why he was attacked, he said he has “no idea.”

A spokesperson from Norfolk Public Schools confirmed the following information in a statement released Monday afternoon:

This morning, school administration implemented a lockdown at Lake Taylor High School because of a report of a person with a possible weapon.

Lake Taylor High School administration immediately enacted safety and security protocols and worked with the Norfolk Police Department to begin to investigate the matter. No weapon was found. Two suspects were detained by Norfolk Police at off campus locations. As always, the safety and security of all within our school division is of utmost concern. The incident will continue to be thoroughly investigated, and appropriate measures will be taken.

Both Lake Taylor High School and Lake Taylor School resumed their normal instructional day. Please direct further inquiries to the Norfolk Police Department.

Norfolk Public Schools