NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — Police say a 37-year-old woman in Norfolk has been arrested as authorities investigate the death of a 2-year-old girl back in August.
According to police, officers were called to the 1300 block of Jennifer Street around 3 p.m. Aug. 18 regarding a report of an unresponsive 2-year-old child.
Investigators say the child was rushed to the Children’s Hospital of The King’s Daughters where she was pronounced dead.
At the moment, the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Norfolk has not released the cause of her death.
During the investigation, Norfolk detectives discovered criminal activity unrelated to the 2-year-old’s death.
As a result, 37-year-old Jessica A. Cherry has been charged with felony attempted malicious wounding, two counts of felony abuse and neglect of a child, and two counts of felony child endangerment.
Cherry is currently being held at the Norfolk City Jail without bond.
This is breaking news. Stay on WAVY.com for the latest updates.
- Blog: Rainy End to a Dry Week
- White House Christmas tree chosen from North Carolina farm for third time
- Hampton Roads high school football disruptions: Week of Oct. 17
- Multiple businesses, cars in Onancock targeted in recent crime spree
- From fishing boat to football star: 3rd-string running back is Cleveland Browns hero after ‘outstanding’ night