NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — Police say a 37-year-old woman in Norfolk has been arrested as authorities investigate the death of a 2-year-old girl back in August.
According to police, officers were called to the 1300 block of Jennifer Street around 3 p.m. regarding a report of an unresponsive 2-year-old child.
Investigators say the child was rushed to the Children’s Hospital of The King’s Daughters where she was pronounced dead.
At the moment, the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Norfolk has not released the cause of her death.
During the investigation, Norfolk detectives discovered criminal activity unrelated to the 2-year-old’s death.
As a result, 37-year-old Jessica A. Cherry has been charged with felony attempted malicious wounding, two counts of felony abuse and neglect of a child, and two counts of felony child endangerment.
Cherry is currently being held at the Norfolk City Jail without bond.
This is breaking news. Stay on WAVY.com for the latest updates.
- Tracking the Tropics: Beta brings heavy rain, flash floods to Texas
- New Hampshire man wins contest with 1-ton pumpkin
- VBCPS to discuss possible reopening plans, pre-school though second grade could return next Tuesday
- Hispanic Heritage: Honoring indigenous culture through pyrography
- Committee launched encouraging voters vote ‘No’ to Norfolk casino