NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — One person died in a three-vehicle crash Wednesday afternoon on Interstate 64 eastbound at Tidewater Drive in Norfolk.
Virginia State Police identified the person who died as 55-year-old George S. Schaab, of Norfolk.
Virginia State Police say the crash happened just after 2:30 p.m.
The driver of a 2006 Chevrolet Corvette, Schaab, was driving eastbound on I-64 at a “high rate of speed” when a 2016 Dodge Journey changed lanes and hit the Corvette.
Both vehicles lost control and ran off the road. Schaab’s vehicle struck the Jersey wall, which caused it to be pushed back into the eastbound lanes and get struck by a 2017 Nissan Altima.
Schaab was taken to DePaul Medical Center, where he died from his injuries.
The driver of the Nissan was also taken to the same hospital with injuries, which are not considered life-threatening.
The driver of the Dodge, Khiry Ives, 31, of Haddon Heights, New Jersey, was charged with unsafe lane change. The incident is pending review by the commonwealth’s attorney, police said.
Traffic was diverted off the interstate at Little Creek Road (exit 276) for several hours.
The scene was cleared and all lanes reopened by 6:30 p.m
Check back for updates.
- Norfolk Parking Division customer service center to reopen Monday
- BREAKING: Kemp’s new executive order will allow local mask mandates
- Nearly $425k donated in fundraising effort after Wilson boy shot, killed while playing in yard
- Not Real News: A look at false claims around Kamala Harris
- Lawmaker: Trump’s executive order to prevent evictions has ‘no force of law’