NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) -- Norfolk city officials are sending out a warning after reports of people in fluorescent vests trying to force residents from their homes and businesses.
Officials say no city employee will ever try to force anyone from their homes, and the city views the mandatory evacuation for Zone A areas as a personal decision for residents.
City spokesperson Lori Crouch says there have been reports on the Nextdoor app and calls to the city care hotline about the people posing as some sort of government worker. Crouch says one report came from the Ocean View area of the city.
There are no additional descriptions for the people in the fluorescent vests, but the city says it's looking into the matter.
- Nordstrom to close MacArthur Center store in April
- Authorities: Suspect in Hampton student's fatal stabbing still on the loose
- Dueling Senate bills would end shutdown in different ways
- Local school districts offering positions to furloughed workers
- Blog: Ice And Cold Be Gone!
- Man behind Portsmouth casino talks plans in exclusive interview
- Bold Mariner Brewing says it's moving to East Ocean View
Military Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Newport News Copyright by WAVY - All rights reserved
North Carolina Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.