NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — Norfolk Police have arrested a man they believe posted offensive stickers in Ghent.
Police say 33-year-old Samuel A. Caskey, a Virginia Beach resident, posted stickers with QR codes that would direct a user to a New York-based blog for white supremacists and neo-Nazis.
They were posted on street signs and telephone poles in Ghent starting Jan. 21, 2020, in the 21st Street corridor. There were about 40 stickers found at that time.
Police began investigating those stickers at that time, and worked with the Department of Public Works to quickly remove them.
However, the stickers began appearing once more starting June 6.
Investigation into the recent posting of the stickers led police to Caskey, with police announcing the arrest on Friday, July 3. Norfolk police said Caskey was charged with graffiti prohibited.
“Let me be very clear, discriminatory acts such as this will be thoroughly investigated by the Norfolk Police Department, and those responsible will be held accountable for their actions,” Police Chief Larry Boone said.
Anyone with information is asked to call the Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP (1-888-562-5887) or submit a tip online.
- Police investigating ‘serious crash’ with injuries on I-64 westbound in Newport News
- Good News with Gaskins: November 29
- Bureau of Land Management confirms ‘monolith’ was removed, say visitors left behind human waste
- Gruden apologizes to ‘Raider nation’ after ugly loss in ATL
- Wreaths Across America local group needs help with sponsors, donations