NORFOLK, Va, (WAVY) – A man suffered serious injuries after an officer-involved shooting on Saturday night.
According to Norfolk Police, the officer encountered a man with outstanding arrest warrants on Lincoln Street at about 6:55 p.m.
When the officer reportedly approached, the man fled which led to a foot pursuit.
Police say the officer observed the man with a firearm in the midst of the foot pursuit and the officer discharged his weapon striking the man.
According to reports, the man was taken into custody in the 800 block of E. Olney Road and was transported to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital with serious injuries.
A firearm was recovered at the scene, Norfolk Police say.
Virginia State Police are investigating the incident. The Norfolk Police Department’s Office of Professional Standards is conducting a separate administrative investigation into the incident.
The officer has been placed on administrative duty.
After being released from the hospital, Swift was held on charges of possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and obstruction of justice.
As of May 21, the Norfolk Circuit Court released information that Swift was granted a $50,000 surety bond, and his jury trial is scheduled at NCC for June 25.
- RELATED: Man shot by Norfolk police officer during chase says he was unarmed, shot in back
- RELATED: Family wants answers after police officer shoots man in Norfolk
Anyone with additional information can call the Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP. Tips may also be submitted online anonymously through the P3Tips App.
An earlier version of this post said the incident occurred “in the 1100 block of E. Olney Road.” The address has since been updated.
- ODU study shows rise in crimes of fraud and abuse against ‘older persons’ during pandemic
- Pet Pal: Squash
- Chas Foundation 8th Annual Golf Classic
- Hampton Coliseum Box Office reopening to public Monday; ticket refunds available
- Today’s Takeout: Sal’s Ristorante Italiano