NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — Coronavirus has put a halt to many people’s plans — including celebrating birthdays in the traditional way.
But a little outside-of-the-box thinking can show someone you care.
That’s the musical stylings of the Norfolk Police Department.
On Wednesday, they celebrated Iola McMillon’s 97th birthday.
She’s a resident at Franklin Arms, a senior living facility in Norfolk.
Officers were able to be part of her special day and wish her well — all while maintaining social distancing to keep everyone safe. Police also brought an ice cream truck, because McMillon loves strawberry ice cream.
Norfolk Police say McMillon moved to Norfolk in the mid-1940s from Bermuda, later becoming a proud U.S. citizen.
- Blog: Some Local Tidal Flooding. Tropical Burnout?
- ‘Thank you for everything’: Oklahoma man battling COVID-19 texts mom before going into coma
- Crews respond to camper trailer on fire in Gloucester marsh
- Currituck Sheriff’s Office arrest man in connection to early morning shooting
- Gov. Cooper says NC, US flags should fly at half-staff in honor of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg