NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — Norfolk is celebrating the life and legacy of Martin Luther King Jr. with a virtual ceremony and concert.
The in-person ceremony and march will not be held this year due to current COVID-19 restrictions.
The virtual ceremony will include special messages from Mayor Kenneth Cooper Alexander and Vice Mayor Martin Thomas, Jr. and look back to the January 2020 celebration at the Attucks Theatre and wreath-laying ceremony.
The ceremony will also have a keynote address delivered by humanitarian and civil rights leader Rev. Dr. Yvonne Y. Delk, and several special musical performances that included singer, songwriter, actress and Norfolk native, Ms. Jessie Wagner.
The 2021 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr virtual ceremony will air on COX channel TV 48 beginning Monday, January 18 through Saturday, January 23 at the following times:
- 12:00 a.m.
- 4:00 a.m.
- 9:30 a.m.
- 1:30 p.m.
- 8:00 p.m.
You can watch the ceremony beginning 10 a.m.
- American Red Cross holding blood drive at Chartway Arena in Norfolk Tuesday
- Person sustains injuries following shooting incident on North Military Highway in Norfolk
- 29-year-old driver dies after vehicle crashes into utility pole in Newport News
- Oscar Smith, Maury roll through region title games and into state semifinals
- ‘A pillar and stalwart’: Oldest living American dies at 116