NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — Norfolk is celebrating the life and legacy of Martin Luther King Jr. with a virtual ceremony and concert.
The in-person ceremony and march will not be held this year due to current COVID-19 restrictions.
The virtual ceremony will include special messages from Mayor Kenneth Cooper Alexander and Vice Mayor Martin Thomas, Jr. and look back to the January 2020 celebration at the Attucks Theatre and wreath-laying ceremony.
The ceremony will also have a keynote address delivered by humanitarian and civil rights leader Rev. Dr. Yvonne Y. Delk, and several special musical performances that included singer, songwriter, actress and Norfolk native, Ms. Jessie Wagner.
The 2021 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr virtual ceremony will air on COX channel TV 48 beginning Monday, January 18 through Saturday, January 23 at the following times:
- 12:00 a.m.
- 4:00 a.m.
- 9:30 a.m.
- 1:30 p.m.
- 8:00 p.m.
You can watch the ceremony beginning 10 a.m.
- Coast Guard Mid-Atlantic sets up 3 security zones with prohibited entry ahead of inauguration
- Last-minute basket lifts Old Dominion over Rice
- Jenkins carries Norfolk State past Delaware State 87-76
- No. 18 Virginia routs No. 12 Clemson to stay perfect in ACC
- Portsmouth Restaurant Week to kick off with more than 25 participating businesses