NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) -- An afternoon shootout on Thursday in Norfolk left a man hurt.
The shots rang out on Granby Street near 27th Street just before 4 p.m.
Bullets went flying in front of a small set of businesses. 10 On Your Side spoke to a man who was working inside one of those stores and he said the whole thing was surreal to see.
A typical day on the job quickly turned into a terrifying situation for many people.
“It was like a full-fledged shoot out,” said Alex Boxley.
Boxley was working when he first heard the loud pops outside of his building.
He initially thought it was construction work but soon realized it was gunshots just feet away from the front door.
“It was multiple, like a lot more shots after that so I just ran and locked the door,” Boxley said. “That’s when I was kinda like ducking but I was watching.”
Boxley said he saw two men shooting at each other.
“It was pretty traumatic because all of this was going on. They were shooting in traffic so I’m just like man this is crazy out here.”
Boxley said terrified drivers were forced to stop their cars in the middle of the shootout.
He also saw the moment one of the men was hit by a bullet.
“He dropped in the intersection, he got back up and shot like three more shots and then just started like limping off,” Boxley said.
Norfolk Police arrived minutes later and found a man with a gunshot wound. He was taken to the hospital but is expected to be OK.
A nearby business owner didn't want to go on camera but he said police told him a gun was found near the back of his building. Investigators also towed away an SUV riddled with bullets from the scene.
Detectives have not released any suspect information or what may have led up to this shooting however, they ask anyone with information to contact the Norfolk Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP.
- Weed legalization, decriminalization bills for Virginia die in committee
- Mother of special needs student sues VBCPS, educators, officials
- African arts museum and 26-story hotel could come to downtown Norfolk near Harbor Park
- Suffolk councilman denies accusations of sexual harassment
- Norfolk detectives searching for woman missing since Dec. 20
- Man shot and killed on Shell Road in Hampton
- Scott, top Dems introduce bill to gradually increase minimum wage to $15
Virginia Copyright by WAVY - All rights reserved