NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) – The Life Enrichment Center will host its Virtual Fall Gala on October 23 from 7:00 to 8:15 p.m. to celebrate the year’s achievements in literacy and the valuable contributions of LEC volunteer tutors, staff, and partners.
The Life Enrichment Center’s initiative is to improve literacy for underserved children in Title I schools throughout Hampton Roads, Richmond, and Northern Virginia.
The event is set to feature awards for Partner of the Year, Tutors of the Year, as well as the announcement of the LEC Foundation Scholarship.
The LEC Fall Gala will be virtual this year to align with COVID-19 CDC guidelines.
In addition, the Life Enrichment Center said highlights will be the presentation of the 2020 NOBLE (National Organization of Black Law Enforcement) Awards to recognize law enforcement professionals who volunteer their time and resources in their communities with literacy tutoring and educational support.
NOBLE Award recipients include the Norfolk Police Department, Portsmouth Police Department, Norfolk Sheriff’s Office, and Newport News Sheriff’s Office.
“We are very thankful for this opportunity to recognize the hard work and dedication of our volunteers, partners, and staff,” said LEC President Kevin Turpin. “We look forward to our continued growth and success for the coming year.”
The public is invited to attend the Virtual Fall Gala online at www.lecliteracy.org.
- Virginia ABC awards grants in support of youth leadership efforts to prevent substance use
- House Committee presses Secretary Mnuchin and Federal Reserve Chair Powell on COVID-19 relief
- Democrats push Congress to act on COVID relief bill
- Virginia Natural Gas partners with Operation Warm to give coats to kids at local Boys & Girls clubs
- Lawmakers push back as Trump threatens to veto defense bill