NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) -- A person has died following a shooting Tuesday night on Colonial Avenue at 28th Street in Norfolk.
Police had a big area taped off while they investigated and a large crowd also stood by and watched.
Police got the call around 7:30 p.m. Tuesday. When officers arrived, they found a gunshot victim and that person was pronounced dead on scene.
There is no word if a suspect has been identified or caught. Detectives were seen canvassing the area with their flashlights.
10 On Your Side spoke with some neighbors and one man said he heard a gunshot, but didn’t realize what it was until his dog came running inside.
Another neighbor said he didn’t hear anything but he saw the commotion shortly after officers arrived.
"I saw something -- I saw a body wrapped in white sheets. They put them on the gurney and went into the vehicle," Jerry Altares said. "It’s just surprising. The five years that I've lived here or so, nothing has actually happened that I know of. It’s pretty safe."
Around the same time officers in Norfolk responded to Colonial Avenue, Newport News Police were dispatched to the scene of a shooting off Warwick Blvd near Fort Eustis.
Police said a young adult who was shot was pronounced dead at the scene.
Anyone with information about either shooting is asked to call the Crime at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP.
- Southern Storm Watch: Preparing for upcoming severe weather starting Friday
- In a surprise move, Isle of Wight board kills juvenile justice center proposal
- Trying to get to Something in the Water? Here are transit and parking options
- BLOG: Strong Storms possible Friday night
- Green Beret died during parachute training exercise in Suffolk, officials say
- Historians push to preserve US service members' gravestones in Hampton Roads
- Report: Trump tried to seize control of Mueller probe