NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — Norfolk fire officials say 13 people and one pet were displaced by an apartment fire in the 800 block of Johnson Avenue Tuesday.
Norfolk Fire-Rescue tweeted Tuesday night about the fire, saying the call came in just after 9 p.m.
The fire was upgraded to a “second alarm” fire because of its size and the building’s occupancy. There are four apartment units in the building.
Crews remained on scene for hours to extinguish hot spots. Power also had to be secured due to extensive damage, according to the twitter account.
The fire appears to have started in the attic and may be electrical, a second tweet said.
When 10 On Your Side spoke with the landlords earlier, they said they were speechless at the damage — and devastated for the tenants.
“Devastating. Goosebumps, definitely,” said Petra Zayakosky of the feeling she got when she stepped foot inside her building for the first time after it caught flames Tuesday night.
“It is horrible. It’s the first time for me to look at something like this and [I] never expected that was going to happen,” she said.
WAVY News got video of the home from the inside. Ceilings were caved in and ash was all over the floors. There was also a gaping hole now on the side of the home.
When Zayakosky’s colleague walked through, he had the same reaction.
“When I walk through the property, it’s just unbearable, so I really feel how the tenants felt and it’s not something anyone should go through,” Tanvir Ahmed said.
10 On Your Side learned Wednesday at least four bedrooms and a kitchen had been destroyed.
“So much damage, so much clean up that has to be done, but the plus side is everybody got out safe.”
No one was hurt, but the landlords are still working hard to get the families the help they need
The American Red Cross is assisting those displaced, the agency tweeted.
Stay with WAVY for more updates.