NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — The Hampton Roads Community Foundation has announced it plans to divvy up a $1 million gift from Facebook among 30 local, Black nonprofit organizations in order to help with racial equity.
The nonprofits selected have either a majority Black board of directors, executive leadership and/or staff, and primarily serve Black people, according to a release from the foundation. The grants — ranging from $5,000 to $50,000 — will be paid over two years and can be used for a variety of programs and needs.
“The Hampton Roads Community Foundation is serious about addressing racism and racial inequities in the region,” said Linda Rice, vice president for grantmaking. “These unique grants will support Black leaders and organizations who know firsthand how to address important community needs.”
The money for grants comes mainly from social media giant Facebook which helped form the Black Community Partnership Fund in 2020.
Following the renewed calls for racial justice following the murder of George Floyd, Facebook committed to $100 million to support Black-owned businesses and organizations. HRCF was one of only 20 community foundations nationwide selected by Facebook to receive the funding.
Among the grant recipients was the Don Carey REECH Foundation. Carey, a former NFL safety who is also a Chesapeake City Council member, said nonprofits can’t do what they do without reliable funding.
In his case, funding helps to introduce underserved youth to sports, which Carey hopes in turn introduces them to careers they could one day have in the fields of science, technology, engineering and math.
“It’s another opportunity to further our mission to educate students in the STEM sector, in order to help them be more positive contributors to society,” Carey said. “We are extremely appreciative of the Hampton Roads Community Foundation for believing in us to be good stewards over this funding.”
Grant recipients are:
- Beauty for Ashes Contemporary School of Dance, $20,000
- Black BRAND, $20,000
- Blakely Weaver Counseling Center, Inc., $30,000
- Buffalo Family and Friends Community Days, $10,000
- Clever Communities In Action, $50,000
- Community Outreach Coalition, $40,000
- Don Carey REECH Foundation, $10,000
- Edustar Performing Arts Society Inc. $10,000
- Envision Lead Grow, Inc., $30,000
- G.I.R.L.S. Club, $50,000
- Garden of Hope, $50,000
- Hearts Full of Grace Inc., $20,000
- Hope U Inc., $50,000
- I. Sherman Greene Chorale, Inc., $5,000
- Kairos Freedom Schools of Virginia, Inc., $30,000
- Life Enrichment Center of Norfolk, $50,000
- Menchville House Ministries, Inc., $50,000
- Mosaic Steel Orchestra, $50,000
- New Vision Youth Services, Inc., $30,000
- Nursing CAP, $10,000
- Portsmouth Volunteers for the Homeless, Inc., $50,000
- Quality of Life Inc., $20,000
- Southside Boys and Girls Club, $20,000
- The Elders House, $10,000
- TWP-The Youth Movement, $50,000
- Visions of Truth Community Development Corporation, $50,000
- Walk In It Inc., $45,000
- Wesley Community Service Center, Inc., $50,000
- Young Investor Group ,$10,000
- Youth Outreach Urban Resources & Services, $50,000