NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) — Police say a man has been charged with murder after a woman was found dead after a domestic-related shooting Saturday morning in Newport News.
Police say the call for the shooting came in around 7:30 a.m. Saturday in the 1000 block of Blackwater Way.
When officers got to the scene, they found a woman, identified on Monday as 22-year-old April Lee Logan, shot. She was pronounced dead by medics.
Police took 25-year-old Matthew Allen Coglio into custody and charged him with second-degree murder, use of a firearm in the commission of a felony and discharging a firearm in an occupied dwelling.
Evidence recovered at the scene and initial investigations led police to believe that the incident appeared to be domestic-related.
Police say the incident remains under investigation and no further information has been released.
If you believe you or someone you know is a victim of domestic violence or child abuse, click here for a compiled list of national and local resources.
- Several dead in Copenhagen mall shooting; suspect arrested
- Onions sold in 5 states recalled for possible listeria contamination
- American oligarchs: Inside the minds of the country’s wealthiest people
- These states have reported the most monkeypox cases: CDC data
- Boy helps NASCAR driver put new spin on ‘Let’s go, Brandon’ chant