NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) — Police are investigating a shooting that led to a barricade situation early Sunday morning in Newport News.
Just before midnight Saturday, officers received a call for a shooting in the 200 block of Exeter Road. When police got there, they found a 47-year-old woman suffering from a non life-threatening gunshot wound. Paramedics took her to the hospital.
After further investigation, the victim told police that 51-year-old James Wood Jr. known to her shot her.
Police said this was a domestic incident.
Police said Wood stayed inside the home and a tactical situation began shortly after. Investigators said just before 3:00 a.m., Wood exited the home and officers took him into custody.
Stay with WAVY for the latest information on this breaking story.
- Beware of COVID-19 scams as vaccine approaches FDA approval
- Newsfeed Now: Moderna seeking emergency use authorization for COVID-19 vaccine; young genius makes history
- The best Cyber Monday Deals: Walmart, Amazon, Target
- Chesterfield boy among top 20 finalists for Nickelodeon’s ‘Kid of the Year’
- Suspect wanted for robbery at 7-Eleven on Executive Dr. in Hampton