NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) — A Winchester, Virginia, man was arrested on Monday in Newport News, months after a shooting at a 7-Eleven on Jefferson Avenue.
Police say 25-year-old Davonta Deanthony Roberts was arrested in 200 block of 26th Street and charged with one count each malicious wounding, assault, petit larceny, and use of a firearm in the commission of a felony.
Police say the shooting happened around 1 a.m. on February 19 at the 7-Eleven in the 14500 block of Jefferson Avenue.
Officers found a 45-year-old man suffering from a non life-threatening gunshot wound and lacerations to the upper body. The preliminary investigation revealed the victim and Roberts were in a vehicle together when they got into a fight. The victim pulled over and the two struggled over a gun before the victim was shot, police say. Police say Roberts took a personal item from the victim before running away on foot.
- Virginia Beach City Council set to form mass shooting memorial committee
- Monday evening crash closes all eastbound lanes on I-264 in Virginia Beach
- Chesapeake Public Schools shifts 3 classrooms following positive COVID-19 tests
- Norfolk offering free COVID-19 tests on December 10
- Disney honors Chadwick Boseman’s birthday with special ‘Black Panther’ opening