NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) — Police in Newport News are investigating a shooting that left a person injured overnight Monday.
Emergency communications say they received the call around 2:15 a.m. for the shooting in the 1100 block of 27th Street.
Police arrived to find a large crowd gathered and located a 32-year-old man who had been shot. He was taken to the hospital to be treated for non life-threatening injuries.
Officers determined there was an altercation that led to the shooting.
A 52-year-old woman reported that she was assaulted by another woman at the same location, but was not injured in the incident. Police later arrested 27-year-old Marquita Finnell on one count of attempted malicious wounding.
During the investigation, officers also took 28-year-old Tevin Bernard into custody. He is facing charges of possession of a firearm by a violent convicted felon and possession of marijuana.
The investigation is ongoing.
Stay tuned to WAVY.com for the latest updates.
- Washington’s slow start can’t be overcome in Week 2 setback
- (VIDEO) Davis hits 3 at buzzer, Lakers edge Nuggets for 2-0 lead
- Virginia Wesleyan confirms 2nd positive COVID-19 case
- CBS 17/Emerson College poll shows tight race in NC between Trump, Biden
- UPDATE: Lafayette couple among four killed in Sunday plane crash near Waco, Texas