NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) — A Newport News woman was arrested Monday and charged with involuntary manslaughter more than a year after her child died.
Newport News Police said that on September 12, 2019, they responded to a 7-Eleven in the 12800 block of Jefferson Avenue, which is near the corner of Denbigh Blvd., for a 4-year-old girl who was unresponsive and having trouble breathing.
Upon arrival, the officer observed the child not breathing and began performing CPR until medics arrived on scene. The child was transported to a nearby hospital where she was pronounced dead.
Police say they also learned during the investigation that the 4-year-old victim was found to be malnourished, along with her 5-year-old sister.
26-year-old Jacqueline Wingo, of Newport News, was also charged with two counts of child abuse.
Wingo is currently being held at the Newport News City Jail.
- Conservation group helps preserve historic Portsmouth land
- Promising solution on the horizon for sewer system problems for Moyock community
- “I still think it’s ridiculous;” Why do Norfolk State and ODU rarely meet?
- Florida Sen. Rick Scott promises uphill battle for Biden’s Cabinet picks
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries following Coliseum Dr. shooting in Hampton