NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) — A man who shot and killed two people inside a restaurant in August 2019 has been found not guilty by reason of insanity.
37-year-old Darrell Keith Chaney Jr. was charged with two counts of first-degree murder, possession of firearm by a convicted felon, two counts of use of a firearm in commission of a felony and discharging a firearm within a building.
Chaney was found not guilty by reason of insanity in Newport News Circuit Court Monday.
Chaney’s arrest came after officers responded to the Dunn’s River Jamaican and Caribbean Restaurant in the 5000 block of Jefferson Avenue on Aug. 8, 2019.
Police said two men found shot at the scene were pronounced dead. They were identified a day later as 55-year-old Akhi Ar-Rad Abdul Haqq Murad and 62-year-old Barrington Anthony Brown.
- At’Taysiyah Dye’s mother pleads for answers after her missing daughter was found dead last week
- Virginia’s law banning no-knock warrants, other police reform laws now in effect
- Neighbor recalls hearing a ‘big party’ in nearby home hours before Adam Oakes was found dead
- ‘We were basically in a black hole, like no one cared’: Inmates speak about catching COVID-19 in Virginia state prisons
- Herring joins coalition urging Supreme Court to protect rights of Temporary Protected Status holders