NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) — Newport News Police have identified a cyclist who was killed in a crash Monday on Jefferson Avenue.
Police say 61-year-old Laura Ann Jane Strum, of Newport News, was riding a bicycle northbound on the southbound sidewalk when the incident occurred around 1:30 p.m. in the 11700 block of Jefferson Avenue.
The driver of a van, a 44-year-old Norfolk man, was turning southbound out of a parking lot when Strum tried to go around the van and was struck.
An Amazon spokesperson confirmed an Amazon truck was the vehicle involved.
“This is a terrible incident and our thoughts and deepest sympathies are with all involved during this difficult time. We are working with law enforcement and the delivery service partner as they investigate,” the spokesperson said.
Officers arrived on scene and determined the person who had been hit by the vehicle had already died. The driver involved in the incident remained on scene.
No charges have been filed in the incident.
There is no other information at this time. The investigation is ongoing.
- State Police: 1 dead, 2 injured in 2 vehicle crash in Isle of Wight County
- Portsmouth city leaders give crime update, outline new technology to catch criminals
- Alabama mother pleads for answers in her son’s death in Suffolk crash
- CDC study warns of ‘dramatic increase’ in deadly fungus across US
- Police: 2 inmates ‘tunnel through a cell wall’ to escape Newport News Jail Annex