NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) — Newport News Police said a 4-year-old who they believe was abducted Wednesday night has been found safe.
Virginia State Police said the Virginia AMBER Alert for the girl was canceled as of 11:30 p.m.
Eliejah Chalid Hasani Williams, the person who police originally said they believed took the 4-year-old, was in police custody by 10:45 p.m.
The 4-year-old was believed to have been taken from an apartment on Ayrshire Way in Newport News around 6 p.m. Wednesday.
According to the AMBER Alert, police said Williams reportedly forced the child from her mother’s home at gunpoint then fired several shots at the apartment building.
Police believed they were headed north toward New York.
She was found safe by 10:45 p.m.
WAVY is no longer identifying the child, as she has been found safe and is no longer the subject of an active AMBER Alert.
For further information, contact the Newport News Police Department at 757-928-4100 or visit www.vaamberalert.com.
Stay with WAVY.com for updates.
- Committee launched encouraging voters vote ‘No’ to Norfolk casino
- Researchers complete survey of new shipwreck in the York River
- Photos: 27 unopened coffins unearthed at Egypt’s Saqqara pyramid
- Nearly 100,000 businesses have permanently closed since March. Yelp says these are the hardest hit shops
- ‘I’m outside your mom’s house’: Woman accused of texting boyfriend before fire that killed mother