NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) — An adult and a child were airlifted to the hospital following a pit fire explosion Sunday evening.
Police say three individuals, 2 adults and 1 child, were having a pit fire around 6:30 p.m. Sunday in the 600 block of Dellwood Drive when the incident occurred.
According to reports, an individual attempted to relight the pit fire which caused the explosion. The fire was contained to the pit and did not spread to other structures.
One of the adults and the child were airlifted to Sentara Norfolk General while the other adult was transported to Riverside Hospital in Newport News with severe burns.
Officials say the believe the injuries were life-threatening.
No further information has been released.
Stay on WAVY.com for the latest updates.
- President Biden ordering economic help as talks start on $1.9 trillion relief package
- Sensory skate night happening Monday at Virginia Beach rink
- Coronavirus guidelines now the rule at the White House
- Dave Chappelle tests positive for coronavirus, cancels shows
- Fairfax casts tie-breaking vote in Virginia Senate, bill to move all local elections to Nov. goes forward