JAMES CITY COUNTY, Va. (WAVY) — James City County Police have recovered the body of a missing boater following a water rescue that began Sunday afternoon.
The call came in around 5:15 p.m. for a report of an unmanned boat located in the Diascund Creek Reservoir near Richmond Road in James City County.
Police say a 70-year-old James City County resident who had been out fishing, was identified as missing from the boat.
The search was suspended at 8 p.m. Sunday and was resumed at 8 a.m. Monday with assistance from New Kent Sheriff’s Office and Marine Sonic.
The body of the missing boater was recovered around 11:30 a.m. according to police and was transported to the Tidewater Office of the Chief Medical Examiner for an autopsy.
Reports say the boater was not wearing a life jacket when the body was discovered.
No further information is available at this time.
- Virginia Beach advises residents of possible traffic routes to accommodate 4th of July crowds
- Police respond to early morning shooting near Church Street
- Bruno the Bear makes it to Missouri on interstate trek
- NC July 4 COVID-19 update: North Carolina completes more than 1 million tests, hospitalizations remain high
- Demonstrators prepare for 4th of July protest at Virginia Beach Oceanfront