JAMES CITY COUNTY, Va. (WAVY) — James City County Police have recovered the body of a missing boater following a water rescue that began Sunday afternoon.
The call came in around 5:15 p.m. for a report of an unmanned boat located in the Diascund Creek Reservoir near Richmond Road in James City County.
Police say a 70-year-old James City County resident who had been out fishing, was identified as missing from the boat.
The search was suspended at 8 p.m. Sunday and was resumed at 8 a.m. Monday with assistance from New Kent Sheriff’s Office and Marine Sonic.
The body of the missing boater was recovered around 11:30 a.m. according to police and was transported to the Tidewater Office of the Chief Medical Examiner for an autopsy.
Reports say the boater was not wearing a life jacket when the body was discovered.
No further information is available at this time.
- 5, including officer, injured and taken to hospital after falling tree causes crash in Suffolk
- One year later: Suffolk city leaders acquire, plan to demolish buildings damaged by tornado
- Virginia Sen. Kaine’s proposal to repeal decades-old war authorization advances to the Senate floor
- VB announces 9 people on shortlist for Kempsville District council seat
- Warwick Little League All-Stars hoping to play in Little League World Series