JAMES CITY COUNTY, Va. (WAVY) -- James City County fire officials are working to determine the cause of a Saturday morning house fire.
Fire Chief Ryan Ashe told WAVY.com the James City County Fire Department responded to a structure fire in the 5300 block Rockingham Drive in the Scott's Pond subdivision at 1:36 a.m.
Flames could be seen coming from the first and second floors of the home. The fire was under control at 2:21 a.m.
The occupants of the home were able to safely exit the premises due to an alert from their smoke detector.
The fire appears to have started in the garage but is under investigation.
The American Red Cross is assisting the occupants.
New Powhatan ferry reaches milestone
Hot coals in grill blamed for JCC fire
- Police: Teen left dog inside vehicle at Busch Gardens, struck officer
- Public hearings Wednesday and Thursday for HRBT expansion project input
- Exclusive: Man stabbed 8 times near Oceanfront, suspect claims self defense
- Dog rescued from 120-degree car at Norfolk outlet mall
- Teen killed in shooting on Herbert Collins Way in Norfolk; arrest made
- Person shot on Bagnall Road in Norfolk
- Nansemond Indian Nation to celebrate long-awaited federal recognition at 30th pow wow
Virginia Beach Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Norfolk Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Virginia Beach Copyright by WAVY - All rights reserved