ISLE OF WIGHT, Va. (WAVY) — Several roads in Isle of Wight County were made impassable after heavy rains over the weekend.
The Isle of Wight County Sheriff’s Office warned residents to avoid Mill Swamp Road between White Hill Road and Green level Road due to flooding, saying one driver had to be rescued from their vehicle Sunday morning on Mill Swamp Road after they were trapped by the high waters.
“Please use caution when driving the secondary roadways in the county. Safety is our first priority and you cannot see what has happened to the roadway under the water.”
At the same time, county officials received reports that bridges on Jones Town were expected to be impassable due to rising water.
Officials advised residents to stay home, and to leave the area immediately if they need to.
Similarly, a portion Orbit Road in Windsor closed after a massive hole developed in the middle of the roadway overnight following heavy rain in the area.
“Here is a perfect example of why not to drive through water over a roadway. This hole would hold an entire car,” the sheriff’s office said. Orbit Road was expected to be closed for several days.
Hampton Roads saw a lot of rain Saturday as residents experienced flooding, power outages, and high waters throughout much of the region.
- Virginia Veteran has winning encounter with Prince Harry at Invictus Games, and the picture to prove it
- Stimulus checks: Any chance we get $1,200 direct payments in October?
- Not ‘I’ but ‘we’: The key to victory for one World War II veteran
- ‘Lead from the front’: Vietnam combat veteran shares lessons in leadership
- Veterans Voices: Willing Warriors retreat helps with healing