ISLE OF WIGHT, Va. (WAVY) — A 20-year-old man from Petersburg is dead after he lost control of his vehicle on Route 460 in Isle of Wight and stuck a tree Monday afternoon.
The accident happened at around 1:30 p.m. Monday in the westbound lanes of Route 460, east of Yellow Hammer Road.
Virginia State Police say 20-year-old Lavonta Jamal Johnson was traveling at a high rate of speed when he lost control, hydroplaned, and ran off the road before striking a tree.
According to reports, Johnson died at the scene.
State Police say he was not wearing his seat belt and it is yet unknown if alcohol was a contributing factor.
A juvenile passenger inside the vehile suffered non life-threatening injuries and was sent to Norfolk Sentara Hospital.
- VBCPS to discuss possible reopening plans, pre-school though second grade could return next Tuesday
- Hispanic Heritage: Honoring indigenous culture through pyrography
- Committee launched encouraging voters vote ‘No’ to Norfolk casino
- Researchers complete survey of new shipwreck in the York River
- Photos: 27 unopened coffins unearthed at Egypt’s Saqqara pyramid