HAMPTON, Va. (WAVY) — Someone won’t need any penny pinching, because this wasn’t a dream.
A player put down $2.40 on a “penny spin” game at the Hampton Rosie’s Gaming Emporium over the weekend and won more than $409,000 — the largest jackpot in the history of Rosie’s.
The person wanted to remain anonymous, Rosie’s said in a press release. The penny spin “Scorchin Hot Ruby” game is a historical horse racing (HHR) machine, which are similar to slot machines, but technically base their payouts on the results of old horse races.
The Hampton Rosie’s is still the only location in Hampton Roads, with others in New Kent, Richmond and the Roanoke area. A proposed location in Chesapeake was scrapped earlier this month after months of debate.
- Following the Funds: Who has donated to presidential candidates in Hampton Roads?
- East Beach neighborhood in Norfolk sees string of mail thefts
- 3 dead, woman seriously injured in crash on East Princess Anne Road
- 50 million and counting: 11 days out, early voting in 2020 surpasses 2016 total
- Fire engine flies off Tijuana bridge, injuring 3 firefighters