HAMPTON, Va. (WAVY) — A Newport News man who was taken to the hospital after a crash early Sunday morning on I-64 in Hampton has died.
Virginia State Police say the crash happened just before 3 a.m. on westbound I-64, east of Mercury Blvd. The driver, Carlitto Lamont Carmack, suffered serious injuries and was taken to the hospital. He was pronounced dead on Wednesday, police said.
The investigation revealed the 42-year-old lost control of his Honda Accord, ran off the road and struck a Jersey wall. Alcohol was not a contributing factor and Carmack was wearing his seat belt at the time of the crash. Carmack’s vehicle was the only one involved, police say.
Carmack was from the 600 block of Aqua Vista Drive in Newport News.
Correction: Virginia State Police originally incorrectly said Carmack was 45 years old. The name was also spelled incorrectly. That information in the article has now been updated and is accurate.
Latest posts from WAVY:
- VDOT seeking feedback from those who drive Bowers Hill Interchange
- Officer shot in Louisville walks into roll call the next morning
- NewsNation/Emerson poll: Biden has slight lead over President Trump
- What both sides are saying about a peaceful transition of power
- Louisville officer shooting suspect will face charges of assault, wanton endangerment