HAMPTON, Va. (WAVY) — A Newport News man who was taken to the hospital after a crash early Sunday morning on I-64 in Hampton has died.
Virginia State Police say the crash happened just before 3 a.m. on westbound I-64, east of Mercury Blvd. The driver, Carlitto Lamont Carmack, suffered serious injuries and was taken to the hospital. He was pronounced dead on Wednesday, police said.
The investigation revealed the 42-year-old lost control of his Honda Accord, ran off the road and struck a Jersey wall. Alcohol was not a contributing factor and Carmack was wearing his seat belt at the time of the crash. Carmack’s vehicle was the only one involved, police say.
Carmack was from the 600 block of Aqua Vista Drive in Newport News.
Correction: Virginia State Police originally incorrectly said Carmack was 45 years old. The name was also spelled incorrectly. That information in the article has now been updated and is accurate.
Latest posts from WAVY:
- Police: Fire broke out after mother left children home unsupervised; 5-year-old had to help siblings escape
- Richmond bishop creates reconciliation program for abuse victims
- New app can be used for toll payments at Hampton Roads tunnels, other Virginia highways
- Audience: Alzheimer’s Association of Southeastern Virginia
- Ryan Newman leaves hospital with daughters 2 days after Daytona 500 wreck