HAMPTON, Va. (WAVY) — A Portsmouth man previously convicted in a 2019 shooting at the MacArthur Center and wanted in connection with the shooting death of a 7-year-old girl in Atlanta last month has been arrested.

U.S. Marshals arrested 24-year-old Daquan Reed in Hampton on Wednesday afternoon.

Reed was wanted on charges of felony murder, possession of a firearm by a felon, possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime and reckless conduct in connection with the death of 7-year-old Kennedy Maxie.

Authorities say Maxie was killed after Reed got into an argument days before Christmas in a parking lot of Saks Fifth Avenue in Atlanta. He’s accused of firing several rounds as he drove away and left the lot.

One of those bullets struck the child in the head. She was in the backseat of her mother’s car, and died later at a hospital.

Reed was also previously found guilty of accessory after the fact in connection with a double shooting at the MacArthur Center mall in Norfolk in 2019. Two people were injured in that incident.

Reed has previously been sentenced to 12 months with nine suspended for the shooting at the MacArthur Center.

Attorney Steve Washington is representing Reed. He told 10 On Your Side the Atlanta case involving his client is undoubtedly heartbreaking.

“This is a complete tragedy. It’s a total tragedy. A 7-year-old girl lost her life to gun violence. My heart goes out to the family,” he said.

Washington said although Reed is a suspect, he’s asking the public not to rush to judgment.

“We don’t have any facts or any evidence. We don’t have anything right now so I respectfully ask everyone to reserve the judgment right now and allow the facts and evidence to play out in a court of law,” he said.

Washington also represented Reed during his court proceedings in the MacArthur Center mall case.

The attorney said every case deserves a fair trial. 

“Every day that happens. A police officer feels that they have enough probable cause to make an arrest, that happens — but oftentimes they’re not found guilty. Obviously, you have to let the process play out.”

Washington said the case has gained a lot of attention in Atlanta, so a change of venue may be considered.