HAMPTON, Va. (WAVY) -- A man is recovering after he was shot at an apartment complex in Hampton on Saturday.
Hampton Police said officers were called to Triple Crown Court, off Floyd Thompson Drive, just before 9:15 a.m. Responding officers found a man suffering from multiple gunshot wounds.
The man was taken to a local hospital to be treated for non-life-threatening injuries. Police said he is being uncooperative.
The motive and circumstances of this shooting are under investigation, police said.
A neighbor tells 10 On Your Side that a large group of people ran out to help the person who was shot. They also said more than one person fired five to six shots before fleeing the scene.
After hearing the shooting, neighbors tell 10 On Your Side they ran outside to help the victim who had already tried treating himself for the wound.
"The people were pointing to the guy in front of the floor. I saw him and I went and saw a bullet wound to his left thigh. He had applied a tourniquet himself, but had it on incorrectly but I told him how to apply it correctly," said neighbor Otha Smith.
Smith, who says he worked for New York City Emergency Medical Services for 30 years, believes the victim will be alright.
"I think he's going to be fine. He wasn't in distress or anything," he said.
Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to contact the Hampton Police Division at 757–727–6111 or the Crime Line at 1–888-LOCK-U-UP.
- Southern Storm Watch: Preparing for upcoming severe weather starting Friday
- In a surprise move, Isle of Wight board kills juvenile justice center proposal
- Trying to get to Something in the Water? Here are transit and parking options
- BLOG: Strong Storms possible Friday night
- Green Beret died during parachute training exercise in Suffolk, officials say
- Historians push to preserve US service members' gravestones in Hampton Roads
- Report: Trump tried to seize control of Mueller probe