HAMPTON, Va. (WAVY) — A Hampton home was destroyed in what firefighters are investigating as an accidental fire early Tuesday morning. No one was hurt.

Officials said the fire started just before 3:30 a.m. Tuesday in the 400 block of Joy Drive, not far from Big Bethel Road and Roberta Drive. This is about one mile away from Mary W. Jackson Fundamental School.

“The first crews got on scene they had a heavy fire through the large addition at the back of the house,” said Capt. Marc Lavine, Hampton Fire.

Homeowner Gina Eanes said she woke up to the smell of burnt wire. She lives at the home with her husband and their adult son.

Gina said she woke up her husband and said, “honey, we have smoke in the house.”

The couple tried to find the source of the fire and get their pets out. At one point, a piece of the ceiling fell on her, and smoke went in her face, but she wasn’t hurt.

Lavine said one person was checked for smoke inhalation.

“The residents had gotten themselves out prior to our arrival, but they weren’t able to account for two dogs and one cat,” he said.

A dog was later brought out of the home. Gina said the cat was spotted running around the neighborhood. She hopes the other dog is hidding under the deck.

Gina said the garages were also destroyed. The couple runs their business out of the garage. It’s Design Comfort LLC, a heating and cooling business.

Gina also gasped in relief when she was given the urn that stored her late mother’s ashes.

The couple planned to host Thanksgving dinner at the home. Gina said she was going to cook the turkey by herself for the first time.

The family also said the home was the first house built on the block. It dates back to the 1940’s.

Click here to subscribe to WAVY’s breaking news email alert

Tune in to WAVY News 10 for more coverage and stay up-to-date through the WAVY News App and on WAVY.com.