HAMPTON, Va. (WAVY) — Hampton University’s Director of Athletics Eugene Marshall, Jr. has just announced that out of concern for the spread of COVID-19 among its athletes and other members of HU constituent groups, all fall sports have been suspended.
If conditions permit, they anticipate resuming all athletic-related activities during the spring semester 2021.
The spring semester will consist of both winter and spring sports.
WAVY News 10’s Bruce Rader broke the news Monday afternoon.
“Please understand that this decision was not taken lightly,” said Marshall in a statement. “But it was done in the best interest of our Hampton University students, student-athletes, faculty, staff, administration, alumni, and fans. I am extremely confident that we will worth through these challenging times together.”
This is breaking news and will updated throughout the day.
- House fire on Philpotts Road in Norfolk
- Transportation project near Naval Medical Center Portsmouth receives $250,000 federal grant
- Four-star recruit George Pettaway commits to UNC
- Funeral home mix-up causes wrong body to be placed in woman’s casket in NC
- Man injured in shooting near Edwards Street in Portsmouth