HAMPTON, Va. (WAVY) — A family is homeless after their home caught fire Sunday morning off Rendon Drive in Hampton.
They were able to make it out, but their dog didn’t. Fire officials say it was an accidental electrical fire.
Angelica Robinson lived in the home with her two children and parents.
She says everyone was home when smoke started coming in through the vents. They all were able to run outside, but their dog Canela, who was in the garage, died.
Robinson says the smoke was too thick to try and go in and save her.
The home is now a complete loss and they didn’t have home insurance.
“Me, seeing fires on TV, I’m like ‘That’s never going to happen to me’ then it happens and it’s really devastating,” said Robinson.
Once her daughter’s teacher at Tucker-Capps Elementary School caught wind of what happened, she created a GoFundMe page and got them some essentials.
Her actions were contagious. It wasn’t long before other staff and parents were helping out, too.
“They’ve been such a blessing with all the donations and clothes and everything. It helped us out a lot. Just to put clothes on our back,” said Robinson.
The American Red Cross and Salvation Army has also helped the family through this time.
Robinson says they are in need of shoes right now but if you’re interested in donating to that GoFundMe page, you can click here.
- Virginia Attorney General Herring vows to protect workers from wage theft
- Simple experiment debunks Texas ‘fake snow’ theory
- Derek Carr to serve as Grand Marshall for Pennzoil 400 NASCAR race
- Florida school resource officer fired after being caught on bodycam using racial slurs
- Third stimulus check: Americans who make more than $80,000 may not get direct payment