HAMPTON, Va. (WAVY) — Police say a woman from Norfolk was riding her bicycle when she was killed in a hit-and-run in Hampton Wednesday night.
Police say the crash happened on the Mellen Street Bridge around 8:30 p.m.
When officers arrived they found the woman, identified Thursday as 36-year-old Kelly Kercheval, lying in the roadway. She was pronounced dead at the scene.
Investigators determined Kercheval was crossing the bridge on her bicycle when she was struck by a passing vehicle, which then fled the scene.
10 On Your Side contacted PETA in Norfolk, where Kercheval used to work. In a statement PETA said:
“Kelly had a heart of gold and always watched out for animals and others in need. She spent three years helping animals of all kinds at PETA, especially dogs who spend life trapped at the end of the chain. She will be missed.”
Police say the suspect vehicle is described as a 2006-2012 silver Mercedes SUV.
The Hampton Police Division’s Reconstruction Team is investigating the fatal crash.
If you have any information that could assist police with this case, please contact the Hampton Police Division at 757-727-6111 or the Crime Line at 1-888-lock-u-up.
Stay with WAVY.com for updates to this breaking news.
- Missing 68-year-old woman from Charlottesville found safe, senior alert canceled
- Sixth victim in South Carolina mass shooting, Robert Shook, has died
- Police: Staff at Myrtle beach restaurant tried to clean up the crime scene after a shooting that resulted in one death
- Celebration of Life held for Julie Eberly, Pennsylvania mom of 6 killed in I-95 road rage shooting
- Fire burning underground in Utah can’t be extinguished