GLOUCESTER, Va. (WAVY) — Virginia State Police are investigating a fatal accident that killed one person and injured three others late Sunday evening.
According to officials, police were called around 10:43 p.m. for the accident on Route 14, east of Crab Thicket Road.
Police learned that a 2002 Hyundai Elantra was traveling westbound in the eastbound lanes of Route 14 when it collided head-on into a 2009 Chevrolet Impala.
The driver of Hyundai, a woman, and a child in the back seat were transported to Riverside Regional Hospital with serious injuries. The front seat passenger, 50-year-old Robert Lindsay-Cruz, of Williamsburg, was also taken to Walter Reed Hospital where he succumbed from his injuries.
The driver of the Chevrolet was transported to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital with serious injuries.
The preliminary investigation revealed that neither speed or alcohol were contributing factors. Charges are pending, according to police.
Stay tuned to WAVY.com for updates.
- Virginia High School League releases mitigation guidelines for the return of sports
- Staff shortage forces Hampton to return smaller group of students to in-person learning next week
- Battling false information: Where to go for facts before Election Day
- CDC lifts ban on US cruises
- One ref’s decision cost a Missouri man $1 million in fantasy football competition