GLOUCESTER, Va. (WAVY) — Gloucester woman Katherine Byrd scratched off a $500,000 Cash Chaser scratch ticket this week.
She sat there scratching saying to herself, “Oh, I don’t think I’m going to win anything.”
The ticket ended up being a $500,000 top prize winner — of which, the odds of winning are one in 652,800.
She bought the ticket at the Food Lion at 8401 Hampton Boulevard in Norfolk.
Lottery officials said that even after scratching the ticket, Byrd still was not convinced so she went back in the store, showed it to a clerk, and said, “Can you check this for me before I get excited?”
Byrd said she intends to pay off her student loans and get ready for her October wedding.
- Ballet Virginia returns to the stage
- Three adults rescued after kayaks overturned near James River Bridge
- At least one person hurt in Northampton Boulevard crash Sunday night
- At long last, NSU great Bob Dandridge elected to Naismith Hall of Fame
- Man behind ‘Keep Portland Weird’ says city not as weird anymore