FBI gives all-clear after bomb threat at Newport News/Williamsburg Intl. Airport

Local News

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) – The FBI says its investigation into a bomb threat at the Newport News/Williamsburg International Airport Thursday determined there was never a threat to public safety.

Local and state officials also assisted in the investigation, according to FBI spokesperson Christina Pullen.

The FBI issued an all-clear message on Twitter at 4:15 p.m. Pullen said they had been at the airport since around 8 a.m.

“Regardless, the FBI and our partners take every potential threat seriously and will take all measures necessary to ensure the safety of the communities we serve. Individuals found responsible for making threats in violation of state or federal laws will be prosecuted,” said Allison Phillips, a spokeswoman for FBI Norfolk.

WAVY reached out to Michael Giardino with the airport, who said the airport remained open and was never evacuated. While operations were not impacted, he said some operations were temporarily relocated at the request of investigators.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

WAVY Twitter Widget

***Don’t Miss Module Removal CSS***

WAVY Facebook