JAMES CITY COUNTY, Va. (WAVY) — A motorcyclist and their passenger died in a crash Wednesday morning in James City County.
The crash happened just before 7 a.m. on VA Route 30 near Barnes Road in Toano. Police say the motorcycle struck a commercial vehicle. The motorcyclist, 22-year-old Tyler Scott Hyibak, was pronounced dead the scene and his passenger, 20-year-old McKenzy J. Jeade, was taken to the hospital, where she later died. Jeade was not wearing a helmet. Both were from New Kent.
The driver of the truck, 57-year-old Hernando Velasquez, of James City County, was charged with failure to yield.
The Eastbound and westbound lanes were closed near the crash site for nearly four hours.
The crash remains under investigation.
- Oreo releases new Lady Gaga-themed cookies
- Parents, students in Williamsburg and James City County push back after the decision of no winter sports
- Virginia ABC awards grants in support of youth leadership efforts to prevent substance use
- House Committee presses Secretary Mnuchin and Federal Reserve Chair Powell on COVID-19 relief
- Democrats push Congress to act on COVID relief bill