Man dies, woman treated for smoke inhalation after house catches fire in Chesapeake

Chesapeake

CHESAPEAKE, Va. (WAVY) — A man died after being found unresponsive in a Chesapeake house fire Monday night.

According to dispatch, the call for the fire came in around 9:30 p.m. in the 2200 block of Ardmore Avenue.

35-year-old Justin Peirson (photo provided by Chesapeake Fire Department)

Officials from the Chesapeake Fire Department say that 35-year-old Justin Peirson was found in the back of the one-story home unresponsive and not breathing. He was pulled out of the home and to the backyard where medics began resuscitation efforts.

Peirson was later pronounced dead at the hospital.

A second resident, a woman, was able to escape the fire before crews arrived and was treated for smoke inhalation. She was also transported to a local hospital.

(Below: WAVY’s Drone 10 surveys the damage)

Neighbors tell us the two victims were mother and son. They say a man from down the street went into the home after seeing the smoke and rescued the mother. Friends of the male victim say he was full of life and will be missed greatly.

Fire officials say the fire originated in the front bedroom and was caused by the usage and disposal of cigarettes near combustibles.

The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental.

Get the free WAVY News App, available for download in the App Store and Google Play, to stay up to date with all your local news, weather and sports, live newscasts and other live events.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

WAVY Twitter Widget

***Don’t Miss Module Removal CSS***

WAVY Facebook