CHESAPEAKE, Va. (WAVY) — Police closed the area around Yadkin Road and Dandridge Way for several hours on Saturday afternoon after an overturned tanker started leaking fuel.
Chesapeake Fire Department officials say the call for the incident came around 1 p.m. Saturday.
Police officials said the tanker was carrying 8500 gallons of gasoline.
The CFD Foam Team sprayed a foam covering over the leaking fuel truck to suppress the explosive vapors being released.
The Hazardous Materials Team also secured the leaks to minimize the environmental impact of the leaking fuel.
The Fire Department’s Hazardous Materials Team and Foam Team worked the incident as police redirected traffic.
Officials say the driver of the truck was treated and released by EMS with minor injuries.
As of 3:30 p.m. on Sunday, May 3 Yadkin Road has reopened to traffic at Dandridge Way.
The cause of the accident is still under investigation.
This is breaking news.
Stay on WAVY.com for the latest updates.
- In wake of violent protests, lawmakers call for change
- Johns Hopkins doctors give advice on how to keep personal masks clean
- American Parkinson Disease Association Hampton Roads holds virtual exercise classes
- Serious injuries after Norfolk motorcycle crash
- Police: 2 shot on Woodall Court in Newport News