CHESAPEAKE, Va. (WAVY) — A Chesapeake man fatally shot his wife, and then himself, Friday morning after a domestic dispute, according to investigators.
Police say they were first called to the home around 1 a.m. for a reported shooting, which led to a nearly 5-hour standoff with the man barricaded in the home.
Police say they were able to finally gain entry to the home in the 4100 block of Hamilton Street around 6 a.m. They determined that 47-year-old Joseph Terrell Jones shot his wife, 48-year-old Angela Renee Jones, killing her. He then killed himself.
Police confirmed that Angela Jones left the home before Terrell Jones shot her. She was found shot to death in a driveway across the street from the home.
No other details have been released, but police say the incident is under investigation.
Terrell Jones’ sister, Alise Jones, spoke with 10 On Your Side on Monday. She said that her brother suffered from depression and mental illness.
“It’s overwhelming to lose two people in your life that were together for such a long time,” Alise Jones said. “Mental illness played a big part in this.”
Stay tuned to WAVY.com for the latest developments on this breaking story.
- NC State shakes off Daniels injury, snap losing streak in win over Wake Forest
- US secures indictment against Oath Keeper members over plot to storm US Capitol
- Oregon drivers stuck in snow get soon-to-expire vaccines
- ‘Energy capital of the nation’ reacts to new climate orders; mayor says she’s ‘ready to talk’ to Biden
- Mother, 4 children killed in fire at suburban Chicago home