CHESAPEAKE, Va. (WAVY) – State police on Sunday confirmed that a 25-year-old man died this past week following injuries sustained in a car crash.
Police said Austin Alexander Baynard, of Chesapeake, was driving a Jeep Cherokee in the eastbound lanes of Route 58 on June 11 when the vehicle stopped.
According to the state trooper that responded, Baynard exited the vehicle and was struck by a Ford sedan that was also traveling in the eastbound lanes.
Medics transported both Baynard and the driver of the sedan to a local hospital for injuries. Police said Baynard died from his injuries.
State police said the driver of the Ford sedan sustained non life-threatening injuries.
Family members established a GoFundMe to assist with funeral and memorial expenses.
No charges have been placed at this time.
- Nearly 20,000 fans gather for Dave Matthews Band in North Carolina
- US Olympian Gable Steveson chases gold, pro wrestling dreams
- NC leaders urging vaccinations for public college students, but not pushing to mandate them
- Border Patrol deploys rescue beacons in wake of 32 migrant deaths in Big Bend region of Texas
- Texas mom delivers baby after losing husband to COVID-19: ‘It was so bittersweet’