CHESAPEAKE, Va. (WAVY) -- Two adults are displaced from their home after an electrical fire that was likely caused by a lightning strike damaged it Saturday evening.
Chesapeake fire officials say they were dispatched to the 2200 block of Ardmore Avenue around 5 p.m.
When they arrived on the scene, they found a two-story home with smoke coming from the second floor and attic area.
Firefighters entered the home and energized electrical equipment. They contacted Dominion Power to assist them.
Technicians from Dominion were able to disconnect the power from the home around 6 p.m. Firefighters say they were able to put the fire out shortly after.
There were no injuries reported and the Red Cross is assisting with the displaced residents.
A neighbor to house tells 10 On Your Side the sound of the lightning hitting nearby was so loud, it still has them shaken up.
"My wife was inside the garage and she ran inside the house. That's how loud it was," said Duane Malone.
Another neighbor, Phillip Kilgore, said, "It was about 10 to 15 minutes after hearing that big boom of thunder I started hearing fire trucks."
Judith Crotts, another homeowner in the neighborhood, says the lightning hit a tree in her yard, nearly splitting it in half.
Malone says, "I feel pretty lucky considering it hit across from me on the back side and across from me on the front side. It just went right over the top of us and hit two places. That's pretty wild."
- Police: Teen left dog inside vehicle at Busch Gardens, struck officer
- Public hearings Wednesday and Thursday for HRBT expansion project input
- Exclusive: Man stabbed 8 times near Oceanfront, suspect claims self defense
- Dog rescued from 120-degree car at Norfolk outlet mall
- Teen killed in shooting on Herbert Collins Way in Norfolk; arrest made
- Person shot on Bagnall Road in Norfolk
- Nansemond Indian Nation to celebrate long-awaited federal recognition at 30th pow wow
Virginia Beach Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Norfolk Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Virginia Beach Copyright by WAVY - All rights reserved