CHESAPEAKE, Va. (WAVY) — Crews responded to an industrial fire at Perdue Grain Wednesday afternoon.
Officials say the call came in at 1:04 p.m. in the 500 block of Barnes Road in the South Norfolk area of Chesapeake.
Firefighters arrived to find heavy smoke and flames coming from a four-story grain dryer — which is designed to dry soybeans in preparation for shipping.
The fire was called under-control at 4:39 p.m. Crews evacuated all employees and the area. No injuries were reported.
Officials say this is an active scene as of 5 p.m. and crews are expected to there for several hours. There is no information on the cause of the fire at this time.
This is a breaking news story. This post will be updated as more information becomes available.