CHESAPEAKE, Va. (WAVY) — A woman was taken to the hospital with burns after a mobile home fire Monday morning.
Officials with the Chesapeake Fire Department say they were notified at 4:36 a.m. for the fire in the 1800 block of Iris Street in the Portlock area of the city.
Crews found the mobile home on fire when they arrived, and had it marked under control at 4:49 a.m.
A woman was transported to a local hospital with burn injuries considered not life-threatening. No other injuries were reported.
Firefighters say the fire was accidental and caused by a portable space heater placed too close to combustible materials.
They shared these fire safety tips:
- Keep heaters at least three feet from anything that can burn.
- Choose a heater with a thermostat and overheat protection.
- Place the heater on a solid, flat surface.
- Heater should have an auto shut-off feature if it tips over.
- Never use an extension cord. Plug directly into wall outlet.
- Always unplug when you leave the room or go to bed.
Additional information on space heaters can be found at nfpa.org.
- Puppy pipeline runs from Georgia northward to adoptive homes in Virginia
- Blog: Foggy, Calm Weekend; Rain & Wind Pump in Monday
- One person killed, another wounded in Black Friday shooting at Arden Fair Mall
- COVID-19 puts traditional visits with Santa to the test
- New businesses celebrate opening up shop in Hampton amid coronavirus pandemic