CHESAPEAKE, Va. (WAVY) — Chesapeake Health Department reported its first coronavirus related death on Wednesday night.
The patient was a man in his 80s who had underlying health conditions. The cause of death was respiratory failure, according to officials.
According to a statement released, this case is believed to be travel related and no further information is available at this time.
“We mourn the loss of a member of our Chesapeake family due to this threatening pandemic. Our deep condolences to his family and friends,” said Chesapeake Health Director Dr. Nancy Welch. “This death and the other cases we are seeing in our city is a reminder of how important it is to be vigilant preventing the spread of the COVID-19 virus. Everyone needs to do their part so we can stop the virus and go back to our normal lives.”
- Pres. Trump takes on social media outlets with an executive order
- Newport News, Hampton mayors bet oysters and crabs on which city has higher census turnout
- Virginia Lottery to open customer service centers on June 1; masks, social distancing will be required
- Hampton PD seeks suspect or suspects in connection to carjacking on Bacon St.
- Hampton releases information about beaches reopening Friday